Friday, August 25, 2006

Londonivia

What an odd thing auto-translation is. And so much of my Bolivia material which I thought was in English, has been translated using the automatic, computer translator. This thing basically takes a sentence in a foreign language and translates it, word for word, generally to nonsensical effect. So, a sentence will often read: 'This so generous landscape butterflies and trees bloom support.' It's quite amusing to read, but completely useless as a source of information. Some of it could mean anything.

On a different subject, London has managed to completely evade the floods of rain that were supposed to sweep the city in the last couple of days. Instead, it's a pleasant blue sky, with edible, mashed-potato clouds. But mustn't say it twice. A storm might brew yet, dark and menacing like a big pint of Guinness.

I sit, trying to work, and failing to smoke in the last couple of days. It's great. I don't want to smoke, though I have a packet of fags waiting in my bag. It's good to behave sensibly despite oneself.

Tried the Quality Chop House last night, on Farringdon Rd. Great chops and they have this thing called Chopas - English tapas. So, you can order tapas of fish and chips, mushy peas and other specialities, each at £3ish, and have yourself a night of tapear, but with English tastes. And you've never seen a more jovial waiting crew in your life. They were roaring with laughter all night. Perhaps it was the wine. Our steaks were so bloody it looked like the poor animal had been slaughtered right on the plate. But hey, that didn't bother us. The steak then, as revenge for my carnivore tendencies, gave me nightmares all night. I won't go into details but it was bad.

So tonight, I may go and check out Vito playing a bouncer to his friend Katia's Egyptian-TV-star comedy act at the V&A Arabise Me night. I am keen to see Vito acting, even if it is Matrix style, dark glasses, no speaking. We'll see what kind of nightmares that produces (only joking Vitoni).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home